Frequently Asked Questions
Many visitors to the site and prospective clients have initial questions before they make the decision to call or email to inquire about our consulting services. Several of those queries are answered below.
What is StartContractor.com?
StartContractor.com is website that offers resources to those interested in starting their own home improvement contracting company. Those resources take various forms including consulting and business tools.
Who is behind StartContractor.com?
StartContractor.com is headed by Chuck Solomon, a seasoned home improvement industry professional. He currently serves the home improvement industry as an investor, author and business consultant. Mr. Solomon was previously the owner of a successful home improvement business serving the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill) area of North Carolina (see www.CarolinaHandyman.com)
What are your qualifications?
- 15 years experience as business owner for remodel and repair company.
- 6 years experience consulting and managing start-up organizations with annual budgets ranging from $250k to $2.9 million .
Education & Training:
- Durham Technical College, General Contractors Preparation Course, 2008
- Durham Technical College, Residential Air Conditioning Course, 2005
- National Assoc. of Home Builders, Home Builders Institute, Apprentice training in Carpentry
- Masters degree, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Bachelors degree, University of Maine at Farmington
- How To Start A Successful Handyman Business CD-ROM
- Building Your Successful Home Improvement Business – www.BuildHandymanBusiness.com
- www.HouseFixer.info Blog – Tips for homeowners, DIYers, and contractors
- Various writings have appeared in such places as ArticleBase.com, eHow.com, and Ezinearticles.com
- Leadership Durham Graduate, Durham Chamber of Commerce
- Leadership Raleigh Graduate, Raleigh Chamber of Commerce
- North Carolina Women’s Forum Young Adult Leadership Award Finalist
- Michael Winston Community Leadership Award Finalist
Who is the target audience for this site?
This website is for anyone that has a desire to start and operate a successful home improvement business in the United States or Canada. The topics covered are mainly focused on a small business (less than 5 staff) just starting out and wanting to develop business systems that will help them to be more productive and more profitable. The resources are applicable many types of home improvement service businesses such as handyman, painting, plumbing, contracting, landscaping, electrical contracting, HVAC, paving, grading, power-washing, remodeler, gutter cleaning, window cleaning, pool and spa, remodeling, masonry, chimney sweeping, flooring, tiling, carpentry, windows and siding, roofing and more.
What is the goal of this website?
To help those wanting to start a contracting business to become.
Can you help me determine whether buying a handyman franchise or similar home improvement franchise is right for me to start my business?
Perhaps. That is really a question one needs to fully evaluate for themselves. We have experience helping others that had considered but ultimately decided not to take the franchise route. A handyman franchise or home improvement franchise offers a buyer a business system which has many costs but also many benefits. Most franchisers will have a business prospectus to review. It is best to review that information thoroughly
Contact Us today to see how we can help. There is no-cost for initial consultation.